From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] h
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 00:17:11
1 On Freitag, 27. Juni 2008, Sebastian Günther wrote:
2 > * Volker Armin Hemmann (volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de) [27.06.08
3 00:12]:
4 > > and this is why nobody uses brute force.
5 > >
6 > > There a better ways to crack keys. NSA has tons of experts in mathematics
7 > > and cryptoanalysis. Plus very sophisticated hardware. I am sure for most
8 > > ciphers they use something much more efficient than stupid brute force.
9 >
10 > The thing about this keys is, that there is no better way than to brute
11 > force such keys. The algorithm uses a function which inverse is a known
12 > hard problem which resides in NP, which is a class of functions equal to
13 > just guessing. If the NSA had a sufficient algorithm, that is capable of
14 > reducing the time that much, they should also be able to prove P=NP.
15 > This is worth 1.000.000$ iirc and somehow you should get a Nobel Prize
16 > for it.
17
18 I now that AES is pretty good - but there are more ciphers out there - and a
19 lot of them are fishy at best. Some of them nobody really knows, because they
20 are closed and some are known weak. There are good ones and there are bad ones
21 - and I don't doubt that the NSA is pretty good at analyzing the not-so-good-
22 ones.
23 --
24 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list