From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Tape to CD conversion advice needed
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 08:13:00
1 Dave S wrote:
2
3 >Hi all,
4 >
5 >I need some advice, I need to convert some talks at my local group from
6 >tape to CD. I have a mike input on my audio card so connecting the audio
7 >should not be a problem.
8 >
9 >What file formats do standard CD players play ?
12 Standard CD audio is 44100 samples/s, 16-bit samples, LSB byte order.
13 So what you really want to do is capture the tapes to .wav files with
14 those parameters, then just pass the wav files to cdrecord for writing
15 to the CD.
16
17 >I would guess mp3 but
18 >there do not appear to be any mp3 encoders for linux, ogg would be great
19 >but I doubt that it would play.
23 A few CD players will now play mp3 files written in a standard ISO
24 filesystem. But it is a recent feature, and not terribly standard.
25 lame is probably the most popular mp3 encoder for Linux.
26
27 >Can anyone suggest an application to get the files from the tape &
28 >change them into said format ?
31 arecord -f cd tape.wav
32
33 arecord is part of media-sound/alsa-utils.
34
35 -Richard
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list