From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] OT: WebCam? Second Edition
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 04:35:24
1 Hi,
2
3 Sorry for being offtopic. In the meanwhile -- while
4 trying to get my webcam working I got that many
5 contradictionary and partly outdated informations
6 from the web that I did not know anymore what I
7 know or not...
8
9 I searched a lot of stuff and found a lot of stuff but
10 the sources are often of 2007 and or old kernels. Links
11 of that sites goes into nothing and the software does
12 not run anymore or is not able to be compiled successfully.
13
14 That is the reason why posting here.
15
16 Current status:
17 WebCam: Logitech Quickcam Pro for Notebooks, 2009er model
18 which is not affected by the firmware bug of previous versions
19 of the same cam.
20
21 Kernel: 2.6.30.3, vanilla sources from ftp.kernel.org
22
23 Video interface: Newest Xorg-Server (Gentoo) with newest
24 NVidia-driver (Gentoo), and (accoriding to lspci) this
25 graphics card: nVidia Corporation GeForce 7600 GT (rev a2)
26
27 As driver I used the one deleivered with the kernel.
28
29 The Cam is recognized and activated ... sometimes.
30 With cheese I can watch the video image and stream ... sometimes.
31
32 But I cannot get above 10...15fps with reasonable resolutions
33 like 640x480 or 800x600. Even 320x240 gives me only 10...15fps.
34 And the stream get really jurky when recorded.
35
36 Before I buy again a camera, which is _/said/_ to work with linux
37 with 25 fps at at least 640x480 and fails to do so:
38 I need a WebCam with good image quality to watch/record birds.
39 Since theese are fast animals :) framerates of 10...15fps are
40 no option.
41
42 Is there anyone out there, who owns a WebCam, which definetly
43 _works_ with a resolution of at least 640x480 and 25fps or above
44 and which has a good image quality under a recent linux?
45
46 THANK YOU VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP !
47
48 Have a nice weekend!
49 Kind regards,
50 Meino Cramer
53 Please don't send me any Word- or Powerpoint-Attachments
54 unless it's absolutely neccessary. - Send simply Text.
55 See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
56 In a world without fences and walls nobody needs gates and windows.