From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best whois client?
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 19:12:06
1 On 27 March 2013, at 23:37, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 >> ...
3 >> Like Stroller I've been using net-misc/whois for ever and it does
4 >> what I want, but don't know what the other packages may be able to
5 >> do/do better. I would also be interested to find out why people
6 >> prefer using these.
7 >
8 > They're all identical. The whois protocol is stupid simple
9
10 The search I made before posting led me the wikipedia article which mentioned, for example, using thick and thin client models.
11
12 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whois#Thin_and_thick_lookups
13
14 One might assume, for example, that a thin client might tend to give more accurate and up-to-date information, but of course there's also the issue that the whois server for the domain might move. Thus the client might need to be updated in a timely manner, too.
15
16 I have a Gentoo box here that, embarrassingly, hasn't been updated in several years. It seems to sometimes give different results than my laptop does.
17
18 Stroller.