From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] replacement for ftp?
Date: Sun, 14 May 2017 19:03:39
1 On 03/05/2017 22:04, lee wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
3 >
4 >> On 30/04/2017 03:11, lee wrote:
5 >>> "Poison BL." <poisonbl@×××××.com> writes:
6 >>>
7 >>>> On Sat, Apr 29, 2017 at 3:24 PM, lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
8 >>>>
9 >>>>> Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> writes:
10 >>>>>
11 >>>>>> On Tuesday 25 Apr 2017 16:45:37 Alan McKinnon wrote:
12 >>>>>>> On 25/04/2017 16:29, lee wrote:
13 >>>>>>>> Hi,
14 >>>>>>>>
15 >>>>>>>> since the usage of FTP seems to be declining, what is a replacement
16 >>>>>>>> which is at least as good as FTP?
17 >>>>>>>>
18 >>>>>>>> I'm aware that there's webdav, but that's very awkward to use and
19 >>>>>>>> missing features.
20 >>>>>>>
21 >>>>>>> Why not stick with ftp?
22 >>>>>>> Or, put another way, why do you feel you need to use something else?
23 >>>>>>>
24 >>>>>>> There's always dropbox
25 >>>>>>
26 >>>>>>
27 >>>>>> Invariably all web hosting ISPs offer ftp(s) for file upload/download.
28 >>>>> If you
29 >>>>>> pay a bit more you should be able to get ssh/scp/sftp too. Indeed, many
30 >>>>> ISPs
31 >>>>>> throw in scp/sftp access as part of their basic package.
32 >>>>>>
33 >>>>>> Webdav(s) offers the same basic upload/download functionality, so I am
34 >>>>> not
35 >>>>>> sure what you find awkward about it, although I'd rather use lftp
36 >>>>> instead of
37 >>>>>> cadaver any day. ;-)
38 >>>>>>
39 >>>>>> As Alan mentioned, with JavaScript'ed web pages these days there are many
40 >>>>>> webapp'ed ISP offerings like Dropbox and friends.
41 >>>>>>
42 >>>>>> What is the use case you have in mind?
43 >>>>>
44 >>>>> transferring large amounts of data and automatization in processing at
45 >>>>> least some of it, without involving a 3rd party
46 >>>>>
47 >>>>> "Large amounts" can be "small" like 100MB --- or over 50k files in 12GB,
48 >>>>> or even more. The mirror feature of lftp is extremely useful for such
49 >>>>> things.
50 >>>>>
51 >>>>> I wouldn't ever want having to mess around with web pages to figure out
52 >>>>> how to do this. Ftp is plain and simple. So you see why I'm explicitly
53 >>>>> asking for a replacement which is at least as good as ftp.
54 >>>>>
55 >>>>>
56 >>>>> --
57 >>>>> "Didn't work" is an error.
58 >>>>>
59 >>>>>
60 >>>> Half petabyte datasets aren't really something I'd personally *ever* trust
61 >>>> ftp with in the first place.
62 >>>
63 >>> Why not? (12GB are nowhere close to half a petabyte ...)
64 >>>
65 >>>> That said, it depends entirely on the network
66 >>>> you're working with. Are you pushing this data in/out of the network your
67 >>>> machines live in, or are you working primarily internally? If internal,
68 >>>> what're the network side capabilities you have? Since you're likely already
69 >>>> using something on the order of CEPH or Gluster to back the datasets where
70 >>>> they sit, just working with it all across network from that storage would
71 >>>> be my first instinct.
72 >>>
73 >>> The data would come in from suppliers. There isn't really anything
74 >>> going on atm but fetching data once a month which can be like 100MB or
75 >>> 12GB or more. That's because ppl don't use ftp ...
76 >>
77 >> I have the opposite experience.
78 >> I have the devil's own time trying to convince people to NOT use ftp for
79 >> anything and everything under the sun that even remotely resembles
80 >> getting data from A to B...
81 >
82 > I guess you're lucky then.
83 >
84 >> (especially things that are best done over a
85 >> message bus)
86 >
87 > Why would anyone try to transfer data over a message bus? Doesn't that
88 > require extra wiring and specialized hardware?
89 >
90 >> I'm still not understanding why you are asking your questions. What you
91 >> describe looks like the ideal case for ftp:
92 >
93 > it is
94 >
95 > Still nobody uses it, and apparently ftp usage is generally declining,
96 > so I would expect there to be a better alternative.
99 >> - supplier pushes a file or files somewhere
100 >> - you fetch those files later at a suitable time
101 >>
102 >> it looks like a classic producer/consumer scenario and ftp or any of
103 >> it's webby clones like dropbox really it still the best tool overall.
104 >> Plus it has the added benefit that no user needs extra software - all
105 >> OSes have ftp clients even if it's just a browser
106 >
107 > The users don't know about that.
112 OK, so here is what you have.
113
114 You apparently must use ftp as pretty much nothing else works.
115 You als claim that your users are too stupid to use ftp, and can't even
116 type ftp://<something> into a browser.
117
118 I'm sorry, but that's only marginally more believable than claiming
119 keyboards are too complicated for your users.
120
121 I doubt anyone here can help you - you do not have a technical problem,
122 you have a people problem. I recommend the very first action you take
123 now is to critically re-examine why you think of those users in the way
124 you do and fix/amend what is going on inside your head. Then your way
125 forward will be clear.
129 Alan McKinnon
130 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com