From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] webkit-gtk-2.18.6 failed (compile phase)
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 15:40:27
1 On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 10:29:49PM -0600, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote
2 > I've installed webkit-gtk-2.18.6 on two other boxes and it went just
3 > fine but the third box is giving me an error.
4
5 > ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.
6 > * ERROR: net-libs/webkit-gtk-2.18.6::gentoo failed (compile phase):
7 > * ninja -v -j5 -l8 failed
8
9 One option that sometimes cures mysterious failures is to do the build
10 with...
11 MAKEOPTS="-j1"
12 Yes, the build takes longer, but it may actually build. Remember to
13 set the option back to normal value after experimenting.
14
15 A couple of unrelated items...
16
17 1)
18 > =================================================================
19 > System Settings
20 > =================================================================
21 > System uname: Linux-4.9.72-gentoo-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-2_Quad_CPU_Q9550_@_2.83GHz-with-gentoo-2.4.1
22
23 > CFLAGS="-march=nocona -O2 -pipe"
24 > CXXFLAGS="-march=nocona -O2 -pipe"
25
26 Your kernel indicates "Core2", but your C(XX)FLAGS show "nocona".
27 https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-6.4.0/gcc/x86-Options.html#x86-Options
28 indicates that Core2 has the SSSE3 instruction set (not to be confused
29 with SSE3) that Nocona doesn't have. "-march=native" is recommended
30 unless you're using the machine to do binary builds for other Nocona
31 machines.
32
33 2)
34 > MAKEOPTS="-j5 -l8"
35
36 ...on a 4-core cpu. There is some question about MAKEOPTS="-j($cores+1)"
37 https://blogs.gentoo.org/ago/2013/01/14/makeopts-jcore-1-is-not-the-best-optimization/
38 As the old saying goes, "your mileage may vary".
41 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
42 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications