From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] technical review of systemd
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 16:37:10
1 On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 3:09 AM, thegeezer <thegeezer@×××××××××.net> wrote:
2
3 [snip]
4
5 > using openrc if i reboot a system that requires fsck on /mnt/data it
6 > will do an fsck. but not log anything anywhere about the result, which
7 > is why i put this as a pro.
8
9 Oh, I see; I hadn't understood this.
10
11 > does systemd have configurable options for '/' so that it can run
12 > readonly rather than dropping to emergency in case of problems?
13
14 I believe you can run systemd out-of-the-box with / being RO. That's
15 why /run and /run/lock are tmpfs' and they are available basically
16 from the very beginning, and the reason /etc/mtab is a link to
17 /proc/self/mounts. You need /var and some other stuff RW, if you want
18 permanent logs and stuff, though.
19
20 [snip]
21
22 > can you please clarify what you mean by absorbing iproute2?
23
24 I don't use iproute2, so I don't know how big or complex it is; but if
25 it's small and simple, it could just be absorbed in the systemd repo,
26 like hwclock was [1].
27
28 *This is only speculation from my part*. I don't know how networkd
29 would evolve in the future; perhaps it will always remain a little
30 tool for trivial configurations only. And even if it evolves to cover
31 every possible configuration on Earth, they will go with a different
32 route from iproute2.
33
34 [snip]
35
36 > the only reason that i bring this up is because if you _don't_ use
37 > systemd then /tmp is a folder hanging off /
38 > if you _do_ use systemd it will try to mount it tmpfs
39 > not everyone will realise this which is why i listed it as a 'gotcha' --
40 > a nuance in working with it but not a major issue.
41
42 OK, thanks for the clarification.
43
44 [ snip ]