From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Strange behaviour of dhcpcd
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 09:53:35
1 On Friday 31 Oct 2014 06:52:54 J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Tuesday, October 28, 2014 07:31:56 PM Marc Joliet wrote:
3 > > Am Tue, 28 Oct 2014 16:28:37 +0000
4
5 > > (I found a copy here:
6 > > http://www.kabelfernsehen.ch/dokumente/quicknet/HandbuchTHG570.pdf)
7 > > refers
8 > >
9 > > to "Transparent bridging for IP traffic", and AFAICT makes no mention of
10 > > routing. It does explicitly say that it gets an IP address from the ISP,
11 > > so I suspect that it acts as a bridge for all IP clients (like the "IP
12 > > Client Mode" in Fritz!Box routers). So it sounds to me that the DHCP
13 > > packets likely come from a server beyond the router. Is this the half
14 > > bridge mode you alluded to?
15 >
16 > Not sure about half-bridge mode. But most cable-modems work in bridge-mode.
17 > (If they have more then 1 ethernet-port, they act as routers)
18
19 Yes, it seems to be a fully bridged modem. A PC or router behind it will be
20 accessible from the Internet using your public IP address provided by the ISP.
21
22 In a fully bridged mode the modem only manages encapsulation of your LAN hosts
23 ethernet packets (using DOCSIS frames in the case of cable, or ATM frames in
24 the case of ADSL). PPPoE or any other authentication method is undertaken by
25 the PC or by the router behind it. There's no NAT'ing or routing performed by
26 the modem - it is just a transparent bridge.
27
28 In a typical half bridged mode the modem performs encapsulation of your
29 packets AND authentication with the ISP's radius server. It also passes the
30 public IP address over to the host in the LAN, but it doesn't just bridge - it
31 routes it. The half bridged modem acts as an arp proxy. Some implementations
32 advertise more addresses on the LAN side than the public ISP's address and
33 offer the host a different IP address to the ISP's (usually public IP + 1 with
34 255.255.255.0 instead of 255.255.255.255). MSWindows machines work fine with
35 this, but Linux won't work without setting a static route to the ISP's gateway
36 and complains that the gateway is not on public-IP/32. Cisco routers barf at
37 this problem too.
40 > > Oh, and there are two powerline/dLAN adapters in between (the modem is
41 > > in
42 > >
43 > > the room next door), but direct connections between my computer and my
44 > > brother's always worked, and they've been reliable in general, so I
45 > > assume that they're irrelevant here.
46 >
47 > Uh-oh... If you have multiple machines that can ask for a DHCP-lease, you
48 > might keep getting a different result each time it tries to refresh.
49 >
50 > > Furthermore, I found out the hard way that you *sometimes* need to
51 > > reboot
52 > >
53 > > the modem when connect a different client for the new client to get a
54 > > response from the DHCP server (I discovered this after wasting half a day
55 > > trying to get our router to work, it would log timeouts during
56 > > DHCPDISCOVER). I didn't think it was the modem because when we first got
57 > > it, I could switch cables around between my computer and my brother's and
58 > > they would get their IP addresses without trouble. *sigh*
59 >
60 > That's a common flaw. These modems are designed with the idea that people
61 > only have 1 computer. Or at the very least put a router between the modem
62 > and whatever else they have.
63 > Please note, there is NO firewall on these modems and your machine is fully
64 > exposed to the internet. Unless you have your machine secured and all
65 > unused services disabled, you might as well assume your machine
66 > compromised.
67
68 Yes, the way these modems work you may need to reboot the modem so that it
69 flushes its arp cache if you start reconnecting machines to it.
72 > I once connected a fresh install directly to the modem. Only took 20
73 > seconds to get owned. (This was about 9 years ago and Bind was running)
74 >
75 > > - At the time there was no router, just the modem. We now have a
76 > > Fritz!Box
77 > >
78 > > 3270 with the most recent firmware, but we got it after I "solved" this
79 > > problem.
80 > >
81 > > - I don't know whether we have an IP block or not; I suspect not. At the
82 > > very least, we didn't make special arrangements to try and get one.
83 >
84 > Then assume not. Most, if not all, ISPs charge extra for this. (If they
85 > even offer it)
86
87 You would typically have two IP addresses with a half bridged modem, but only
88 one of these would be usable by the PC/router in your LAN. Personally I find
89 all this a bothersome faff and only buy and set up modems in fully bridged
90 mode, so that they get out of the way and let me route things using a router.
93 Regards,
94 Mick