From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: xterms --featureRICH --suggestions?
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 12:04:44
1 Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:
4 > That sounds nice but is a Bad Idea in the real world where most people
5 > judge things by the default setup. Turns off the nice features and 90+%
6 > of people trying the software don't see them.
7
8 Really?, Try that approach at a carrier network support center, where
9 new stuff is rolled out to cutomers without first explaing, warning
10 and offering up options..... It's shows a blatant disrespect for
11 the existing customer base. Nobody in business, treats existing customers
12 that way, imho. In industry, punks with that mentality get *FIRED*....
15 > It seems to me you dumped KDE because it had too many features and now are
16 > complaining that LXDE's terminal is short on features.
17
18 WRONG!
19
20 I dumped KDE, like many others, because I got tire of wasting time
21 trying to figure how what the hell happen each time a ran an upgrade,
22 like legends of others. KDE seems to have a bit to much "redmond"
23 mentality for my tastes. You like it, run it. I done with that
24 time-sink you refer to as KDE. Note, I've use a myriad of qt
25 based open source and commercial products on embedded systems.
26 Those efforts do not mirror the "attide" of the KDE camp, you
27 espouse so well.
28
29 My LXDE environment is coming along fine. Actuall quite wonderful,
30 at a fraction of the footprint. In fact, now that I am emersed
31 in researching what I want and do not want, it's going to get
32 setup *ONCE*. Then I do not have to piss away time on stupid
33 idea that are IMPOSED upon me by others. By going the minimal
34 approach, I'm also freeing up my GPU to use as a general purpose
35 search/sort engine and I am quite looking forward to upcoming
36 version of gcc to offload those sort of fuctions to the GPU.
37
38 In fact, there is a very large movement of folks going back to
39 basics on graphics and the destop enviorment, as these efforts
40 play very well with the "lighter resource" offerings of a myriad
41 of new embedded toys. So what you do on your desktop can easily
42 be run also on a small net_appliance or internet device.....
43 with the user in control of their resources.
46 > Either run Konsole on LXDE or do wht you suggested the KDE devs do and
47 > run KDE with the eye > candy turned off. The former is probably more
48 > sensible.
49
50 no thanks. Raw X is just fine for my needs, wants and desires.
51 In fact, it's quite refreshing when I install something like mixxx,
52 cinelerra, or blender, I get a wonderful, full featured graphical
53 experience, without bloatware.
56 > You could take a look at ROSA or Mageia, both of those distros have
57 > implemented KDE in a much nicer way, and you can always nick their
58 > themes and configs.
59
60 So far, I have not found anything I want that cannot be added to
61 LXDE/openbox. It's a bit of work. But knowing that only the minimal
62 is installed, and the apps simply fly faster/better, leaves me bitter
63 that I wasted so much time on KDE. It's a "dog" that needs a bath
64 and to be put on a very restrictive diet, if it is to become
65 a beneficial assset again. But, I'm an old "C" hack and detest
66 most of the C++ code I look at, so I guess I am pre-disposed to
67 the opinions of an old grouch. You like KDE, I'm glad.
68
69 Know this, I ran that (pig) KDE for years and years, was very steeped in
70 QT and have left for greener pastures....(LXDE and openbox). If/when I find
71 some I need or want, and it's not available, I'll just hack a patch and give
72 it to whoever. After all, I still have a set of X11-R6 manuals in storage.
73 Hell. with todays GPUs going back to pixmaps and basic logic
74 constructs for pixel rendering is some "old math" I have not played
75 with in decades.... And I'm lovin my desktop again. I have control!
78 peace and good hunting,
79 James