From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive AHCI versus RAID setting in BIOS?
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2021 16:43:32
1 On Sat, Jun 05, 2021 at 08:53:30AM +0100, Michael wrote
2
3 > Back to the original question:
4 >
5 > I've not had a Dell with this option yet, but I understand Dell uses
6 > RAID with NVMe drives because it allows Intel RST drivers to work
7 > with most/all NVMe drives. I'm not sure if any of the Dell onboard
8 > software to restore the Win10 OS also depend on this. Once you
9 > initialize the OS I think you won't be able to run it in a different
10 > mode.
11 >
12 > http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/why-does-dell-set-the-bios-to-raid-always.832016/
13 >
14 > However, I've seen it mentioned in various places Linux will not be able to
15 > see the drive if RAID is selected - I don't know if this is still the case.
16 >
17 > https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/Pros-Cons-AHCI-vs-Raid-On-XPS13-9300-NVMe/td-p/7636984
18
19 Some years ago, I had a Dell with a hard drive (no SSD), that would't
20 work with RAID enabled. Apparently things haven't changed much. Thanks
21 for the info; I'll know to select AHCI when I install.
24 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
25 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications