From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LUKS
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 17:44:15
1 On Monday 09 January 2006 10:57, Cláudio Henrique
2 <rapaduraatomica@×××××.com> wrote about '[gentoo-user] LUKS':
3
4 > has anybody here used LUKS?
5
6 I haven't, but when I next create an encrypted pv/lv, I will be.
7
8 > If I used on any of my HDs, will I be able to update them?
9
10 What do you mean by update? LUKS does allow you to change the key.
11
12 > What if the
13 > data of some file gets corrupted, will I loose the whole HD?
14
15 Depends on how the corruption occurs. There are a least to ways for this
16 to happen:
17 1) Hardware. For one reason or another, a bit gets swapped on the HD. In
18 this case what you lose will depend on your cypher, key size, and key
19 schedule. It may be as small as 8 bytes on disk or as large as a full 512
20 byte sector. Of course, if this happens in the fs superblock (or other
21 critial area, like the LUKS header) this could be enough to render the
22 disk inaccessible, but even a single bit being swapped in the superblock
23 can do that.
24 2) Software. In particular misbehaving software that accesses the HD via
25 LUKS. In this case the read data will be exactly what is written; LUKS
26 can't magically fix errors, but it's not going (supposed) to introduce
27 them either.
30 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
31 bss03@××××××××××.com
32 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy