From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] eclean-pkg strips everything out
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2017 15:35:03
1 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 05 Apr 2017 09:36:57 Dale wrote:
3 >> Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 >>> On Tuesday 04 Apr 2017 17:52:30 Dale wrote:
5 >>>> Peter Humphrey wrote:
6 >>>>> Has anyone else noticed that running "eclean-pkg -d" removes all
7 >>>>> packages, or nearly so? I've had it happen recently on a few amd64
8 >>>>> systems and an x86 system, and it's becoming annoying. Well, no,
9 >>>>> actually it's long since become annoying.
10 >>>> If it is removing to much, leave out the -d option. With -d, it only
11 >>>> leaves the minimum needed to re-emerge the packages currently
12 >>>> installed. It works the same way with -dist as well. From the man
13 >>>> page:
14 >>>>
15 >>>> -d, --deep only keep the minimum for a
16 >>>> reinstallation
17 >>>>
18 >>>> I think if you leave off the -d option it leaves anything that is still
19 >>>> in the tree, may include overlays as well.
20 >>> Yes, I've done that of course. The point is that it used to work with
21 >>> -d,
22 >>> and now it doesn't. If you ask how I know it used to work, my answer is
23 >>> that of course I don't, but at least it only removed a sensible-looking
24 >>> number of packages.
25 >>>
26 >>> The other day I was left with just six package files and the directory
27 >>> structure.
28 >>>
29 >>> I haven't noticed a problem with eclean-dist.
30 >> I just tested it here and it works as expected. It left about 1500
31 >> files in my packages directory. I'm using gentoolkit-0.4.0 here. If
32 >> you are using something different, may want to try it.
33 > gentoolkit-0.3.3 here.
34 >
35 >> I use that pretty regular and its always worked as it should for me. If
36 >> you are only left with 6 packages, something isn't right somewhere.
37 >> Have you checked to be sure it is still saving a tarball of each
38 >> installed package? Maybe something was changed in make.conf and it
39 >> isn't building new ones for some reason, a errant edit maybe. May want
40 >> to build a new package and check to confirm it saved it or not.
41 > This is in a 32-bit chroot for a slower machine on the local net:
42 >
43 > (webs-chroot) peak / # alias emerj
44 > alias emerj='emerge --jobs=24 --load-average=60 --keep-going --nospinner'
45 > (webs-chroot) peak / # emerj -eB world
46 >
47 > --->8
48 >
49 > (webs-chroot) peak / # find /usr/portage/packages -type f | wc
50 > 647 647 29800
51 > (webs-chroot) peak / # eclean-pkg -d
52 > [snipped hundreds of lines]
53 > [ 774.8 M ] Total space from 646 files were freed in the packages
54 > directory
55 > (webs-chroot) peak / # find /usr/portage/packages -type f | wc
56 > 1 1 31
57 >
58 > [Copy backup back in.]
59 >
60 > (webs-chroot) peak / # eclean-pkg
61 > * Building file list for packages cleaning...
62 > * Your packages directory was already clean.
65 >> If we compare what I have that works with what you have, maybe we can
66 >> figure out what is making this not work. Clearly something isn't working.
67 > Indeed. And it isn't just on one system, as I said the first time. And it
68 > started happening several weeks ago.
72 I see you have buildpkg set properly which should tell it to save a
73 copy. So, it should be working on that part, might still be worth
74 testing tho. The only other difference I see is, we use a different
75 version of gentoolkit. I tend to run the latest non-9999 version of
76 things related to portage and tools. I've found them to be stable and I
77 get new nifty features sooner.
78
79 If it were me, I'd try the new version of gentoolkit on one machine that
80 doesn't currently work. If it works then, it is a bad version of the
81 package. If it doesn't, then it is something else which could lead to a
82 little head scratching.
83
84 Dale
85