From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Creating Blue-ray video discs
Date: Fri, 29 May 2020 09:56:20
1 Ashley Dixon wrote:
2 > On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 04:02:02AM -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >> Anyway, I have some HD videos I want to burn to a Blu-ray disc in HD.
4 >> I've used Devede and Devedeng to create DVDs for a while.  I prefer the
5 >> old Devede but the new ng version works well.  It doesn't however seem
6 >> to create Blu-ray discs.  I googled and found how to play some of them
7 >> at least that are commercially made.  I can't find however what software
8 >> is used to create my own.
9 >>
10 >> Does anyone know what software to use to create HD video Blu-ray discs?
11 >> I'm hoping to use them as backup media as well, in addition to other
12 >> backup methods.  Right now, I want to create a few video ones to play in
13 >> a blu-ray player.
14 > Have you tried Xfburn (`app-cdr/xfburn`) ? Unfortunately it is a graphical
15 > application (GTK+) with a somewhat-ugly user interface, but does claim to burn
16 > Blu-Rays. I can only vouch for its stability with standard D.V.D.s, although
17 > it's worth a try.
18 >
19 > https://docs.xfce.org/apps/xfburn
23 I'm emerging that now.  I found the USE flag bluray and put in
24 make.conf.  Is there any other flags that I need to enable?  Maybe some
25 decoding type thing that isn't obvious?
26
27 There's a file somewhere that contains all the USE flags and their
28 description.  I can't seem to locate it anymore.  Anyone recall where
29 that file is?  I thought it was in the tree somewhere but I don't see it.
30
31 Thanks for the info.  Going to see what it looks like.  I've never done
32 anything with a blu-ray before.  I'm totally clueless about them.  It
33 seems they are very different from a DVD.  It's not just able to stuff
34 in more data but requires a whole new toolbox to use.  This is gonna be
35 a learning experience it seems.
36
37 Dale
38