From: Platoali <platoali@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: how to move windows partition to be begining of hard?
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2007 16:23:38
1 On Shanbe 19 Khordad 1386 14:25, Mick wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 05 June 2007 13:05, Randy Barlow wrote:
3 > > gpgkeys: key ED2A35C5A17F791F not found on keyserver
4 > >
5 > > Platoali wrote:
6 > > > I have a box that has a 4GB fat32 partition in the middle of hard.
7 > > > I want to move this partition to the end or begining of hard, so I can
8 > > > create bigger partitions.
9 > > >
10 > > > How can I do this without losing the data in this partition? I know
11 > > > that softwares like "Partition magick" can do this without any problem.
12 > > > Is there any opensource competitor in linux world?
13 > >
14 > > Have a look at qtparted. I haven't personally used it for such a task,
15 > > but I think it may be capable of something like that. It's available on
16 > > the Knoppix CD by default, which is good if you need to have root
17 > > unmounted...
18 >
19 > Not sure if the OP has already hosed his data. The *parted tools can shift
20 > the start and, or end of a partition, but they do not move data. I have
21 > hosed partitions in the part using gparted because I shifted the beginning
22 > of the partition (and thus overwritten the partition boot sector). My
23 > advice is to use partition image or Norton Ghost to create an image of the
24 > data in your partition. Then, use fdisk to delete old partitions, create
25 > new and mkfs <type> to format these. Finally, use partimage again to dump
26 > the imaged data into a partition of your choice.
27 >
28 > Good luck.
29
30 Thank you very much all you peaple for your recomandations. I acctually solved
31 my problem by dd. I just create a new partition in the begining of my hard
32 and then copy the old one. I did not need any other partitions data because
33 I would format them all for the new gentoo system. Its amazing how small
34 programs such as dd can solve problems like this.
35
36 Best regards
37 Platoali
38 --