From: j.romildo@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Mail client recommendation?
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 13:59:48
1 On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 02:20:04PM +0200, Alexander Skwar wrote:
2 > j.romildo@×××××.com wrote:
3 > >
4 [...]
5 > > I have several mbox mail folders with messages delivered by
6 > > procmail.
7 >
8 > Why do you use mbox, if I may ask?
9
10 I use mbox because it offers better search performance when the search
11 is done in the body of messages: only one file (the mbox file) has to be
12 read to perform the search. Such a search would be much less efficient
13 on a mail folder where each message is stored in a separate file. And
14 the primary reason I keep archives of mailing list messages is for easy
15 search. Most mailing lists are archived on the internet, but searching
16 them locally is much more flexible if done locally than on the web. Of
17 corse I archive my private messages too. Furthermore mbox folders can be
18 easily stored in compressed forms (using gzip, for instance) and good
19 mail clients can read them that way. I also consider the number of files
20 an advantage, as mail folders where each message is stored in its own
21 file would create a very big number of files on my scenario with many
22 messages being archived.
23
24 Romildo
25 --