From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anyone have experience with Acer netbooks ?
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 03:59:12
1 091019 waltdnes@××××××××.org requested comments re :
2 > the 11.6" screen Acer Aspireone AO751h-1505 Netbook at
3 > http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=024766&cid=NBK.862.670
4 > I intend to install Gentoo on it.
5
6 I bought an ASUS EeePC 1005HA there a couple of weeks ago
7 & have just finished checking out the hardware, which is ok.
8 Your preference costs CAD 50 more, but features various improvements;
9 they seem to have sold out of the ASUS except the pink version (grin).
10
11 My next task is to look at the BIOS & make a bootable USB stick
12 with System Rescue on it, then decide whether to keep M$ XP around
13 & which version of Linux to install, probably Gentoo,
14 but I'm wary of doing a lot of compiling on the tiny machine
15 (alternatives wb Arch or Slackware).
16
17 Does anyone know how far it's feasible to compile pkgs on a desktop
18 -- I have a powerful machine with upto-date Gentoo for everyday use -- ,
19 then copy the results via USB stick into a netbook ?
20
21 Sorry not to answer your question directly, but this is related (smile).
25 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
26 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
27 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca