From: Lie Ryan <lie.1296@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: vixie-cron keeps stopping
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 14:21:45
1 On 04/17/10 23:08, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Saturday 17 April 2010 14:59:09 Lie Ryan wrote:
3 >> On 04/17/10 18:47, Mick wrote:
4 >>> On Friday 16 April 2010 22:25:47 Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 >>>> On Friday 16 April 2010 20:29:27 Dale wrote:
6 >>> Blimey! That sounds like horribly_broken!
7 >>>
8 >>> Which cron do you recommend for a desktop?
9 >>
10 >> One question, do you actually need cron for desktop? I installed vixie
11 >> because the installation manual says to, but never need to write any
12 >> cron rule for anything and I don't think there any program I uses
13 >> installs a cron rule. So why bother with cron?
14 >
15 > A default install will configure cron to run
16 >
17 > mkwhatis
18 > slocate
19 > logrotate
20 > updatepciids
21 > updateusbids
22
23 I don't install `locate` as I don't have that many files to start with
24 and `find` is more than adequate for when I need to search (and I
25 typically only do searches on newly downloaded file or system files,
26 those that aren't indexed in locate's database in the first place). In a
27 typical desktop system you only rarely actually read logs (typically
28 only when debugging kernel, X, and failed emerge; you don't meet kernel
29 OOPS every day, don't you?), for the rest of the times I could probably
30 live without logging and I can turn it on when I need to examine some
31 logs. A typical desktop system do not update their hardware everyday and
32 running those updater programs manually isn't such a pain when you do
33 (on the other hand I run `emerge --sync` and `q -r` every week, but then
34 I still much prefer running emerges manually). And bash's tab completion
35 is much more efficient for searching commands than `whatis`.
36
37 So I don't think a typical desktop system gets crippled much without
38 cron (or even logging). Yes, you lose some features, and you will need
39 to manually update system's database and do certain things manually
40 which otherwise would have been handled for you; but if I have to choose
41 between wasting system resources running cron/logging or losing features
42 I use once in a month, I probably would not bother with cron.