From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problem installing GRUB
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 17:17:25
1 On Tuesday 27 February 2007, Marco Schuler wrote:
2 > > > As yesterday, I don't have my notebook at hand. I will check
3 > > > tonight. What should be the content of device.map? Is it
4 > > > generated by grub?
5 > >
6 > > With your one and only drive it will look like this:
7 > >
8 > > (hd0)   /dev/hda
9 > >
10 > > It describes a mapping between linux disk devices and what grub
11 > > will call them.
12 >
13 > Who generates this file? Grub, default from Gentoo?
14
15 I believe grub-install creates it.
16
17 > > I just thought of something else: when you run grub-install, are
18 > > you doing it from a properly booted system, from inside a chroot,
19 > > from a rescue disk (where your gentoo filesystem is mounted
20 > > somewhere), or a different environment altogether?
21 >
22 > I am following the Gentoo Linux x86 Handbook. So I run the
23 > installation cd, and call grub-install from within the chroot
24 > environment (I work remotely using a ssh conection to the
25 > installation machine)
26
27 OK.
28
29 Do you have a separate /boot partition? Is it mounted? If so, you should
30 be using:
31
32 grub-install --root-directory=/boot /dev/hda
38 Optimists say the glass is half full,
39 Pessimists say the glass is half empty,
40 Developers say wtf is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?
41
42 Alan McKinnon
43 alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za
44 +27 82, double three seven, one nine three five
45 --
46 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list