From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE 3 : a nasty problem
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 23:38:09
1 On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 6:56 PM, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > My favorite game is the KDE 3 version of Mahjongg :
3 > no, the KDE 4 version is nowhere near as good (smile).
4 >
5 > Currently, users are being warned in big red letters
6 > that 'mDNSResponder' is masked & soon wb removed: the alternative is 'avahi'.
7 > I unmerged the former & emerged the latter,
8 > then tried to remerge the KDE 3 version of 'kdelibs': it failed;
9 > yes, I did add the 'avahi' USE flag.
10 >
11 > Luckily, I made a quickpkg of 'mDNSResponder' & was able to reinstall it
12 > after adding it to  /etc/portage/package.unmask ,
13 > so Mahjongg 3 is back (big smile).
14 >
15 > However, I can't test 'kdelibs 3' again without unmerging 'mDNSResponder',
16 > so it's not nice to try to submit a bug
17 > & anyway how far are KDE Sunset bugs taken seriously ?
18 >
19 > Does anyone have advice ?
22 local use flags (searching: mdnsresponder-compat)
23 ************************************************************
24 [- ] mdnsresponder-compat
25 net-dns/avahi: Enable compat libraries for mDNSResponder
26
27 That said, KDE3 is EOL'd, as is mdnsresponder. It's not likely KDE3 is
28 going to get fixed to use avahi, and mdnsresponder-compat will
29 probably eventually get removed.
30
31 If you want to continue using KDE3 components, you may eventually be
32 required to do without mdns support in KDE3. And, eventually, the KDE3
33 stuff will probably go away, too.
34
35 BTW, I somewhat agree; the KDE3 version of Mahjongg is great. I've
36 never tried the KDE4 version, though. I don't spend much time with
37 KDE.
40 :wq