From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NFS and user IDs
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2018 09:16:18
1 On Saturday, June 9, 2018 6:42:56 AM CEST Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2 > Is there _any_ way around the need to keep the user IDs matched on NFS
3 > clients and servers?
4
5 Not to my knowledge.
6 I use OpenLDAP for my users and groups and this has worked perfectly ever
7 since I implemented it.
8
9 > Or, is there any other remote filesystem (other than the one originally
10 > made by Microsoft) that avoids that chore?
11
12 I am only familiar with CIFS/SMB and NFS. Not sure if any other shared
13 filesystems handle this. A minimum requirement would be that you need to login
14 to the fileserver using a username and password.
15
16 > This is the main reason I have mostly stayed away from NFS all these
17 > years. Recently sshfs has been a good enough substitute, but now it's
18 > proving not reliable enough for long term connections.
19
20 I found NFS to be stable for long term (months) connections. When working from
21 mobile machines (Laptops), I use SMB/CIFS to access the same files.
24 Joost