From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UEFI is teh SNAFU!
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 19:28:11
1 On Monday 30 Jan 2017 10:56:09 Alan Grimes wrote:
2 > I had to reboot my system again due to video driver update.
3 >
4 > I had set up a new build of my kernel in a UEFI partition. The
5 > BIOS/firmware seemed to be happy with the location.
6
7 What made you reach this conclusion?
10 > The machine stops stone cold dead the instant the firmware tries to
11 > transfer control to the new kernel.
12 >
13 > I found a switch in the debugging menu which enables the EFI console
14 > output. Why does this option exist? I mean why is it possible to compile
15 > a kernel that doesn't use every possible method to communicate with the
16 > user?
17
18 If you are talking about a menu in the kernel configuration, this is because if
19 your kernel boots without problem you do not need all this I/O impacting your
20 system, or filling up your drive. In addition, there are people who build
21 minimalistic kernels for embedded systems with very limited storage/CPU/RAM
22 resources.
25 > Well, anyway, even with this selected, it still stops stone cold dead
26 > without producing any output at all. I could turn on some more debugging
27 > options, but they seem more hardcore than what I'm trying to do...
28 > (simply boot!!!!!)
29
30 It may be that the EFI firmware is not happy with your kernel, tries to boot
31 it, but it can't. I'd try two things:
32
33 1. Build a genkernel but make it EFI compatible, then copy it over into the
34 EFI partition and run efibootmgr with the requisite options and paths to point
35 the EFI firmware to it.
36
37 2. Build and install rEFInd and point the EFI to that.
38
39 If you have a kernel problem step 1 above may fix it. If not, step 1 will
40 prove you can boot from the EFI partition (if only by just launching the
41 rEFInd boot manager menu). Then you can make some progress by booting a
42 LiveCD with EFI on it and copying the working kernel configuration as a starter
43 for ten to build your own kernel with.
44 --
45 Regards,
46 Mick