From: Alan Warren <bluemoonshine@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] slow screen redraw in terminal windows after sync
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2011 16:17:43
1 I recently sync'd after not having done so in 36 days. Among the
2 packages updated were firefox-bin and xulrunner.
3
4 While using awesome wm, I first noticed firefox-bin wouldn't display,
5 but it launched fine in gnome.
6
7 I tried launching firefox-bin from a terminal, but got no errors. The
8 process seemed to launch fine, but I couldn't see firefox anywhere.
9 Before killing the firefox process I noticed my urxvt windows would draw
10 very slowly. If I view a man page or ls a large dir, it's as if the
11 text were slowly being revealed one line at a time. Other
12 non-terminal based applications would launch and run fine though.
13
14 I sync'd again, and to my surprise both firefox and xulrunner were updated.
15 Now firefox-bin launches on my x86_64 system, but I still have the problem
16 with terminal windows redrawing themselves very slowly using either urxvt
17 or gnome-terminal.
18
19 If I use a webkit browser ( uzbl ), the effect is much less apparent, if
20 not
21 completely gone.
22
23 Is there anything I can try, or more information I can provide?
26 Thanks,
27 Alan