From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Any way of tracing kernel freezes?
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 21:14:40
1 On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 9:05 AM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 13/06/13 16:47, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
3 >>
4 >> recently my netbook got the habit of freezing sporadically. [...]
5 >> [...]
6 >>
7 >> I ran a memtest a few months back and stopped it after 8 successful
8 >> passes. I might try that again as soon as I find out how¹, but I'd
9 >> think that a corrupt memory would cause something different than a full
10 >> freeze.
13 > It usually manifests in segfaults that seem to come at random. But it's
14 > still worth a shot. It's very easy. Emerge "sys-apps/memtest86+" and add
15 > this grub entry:
16 >
17 > title=Memtest86+
18 > root (hd0,0)
19 > kernel /boot/memtest86plus/memtest.bin
20 >
21 > (Adapt the "hd0,0" of course to be the same disk as the one you're using to
22 > boot your kernel.)
23 >
24 > That's it. Now your boot menu will include a "Memtest86+" option. This is
25 > for grub 1 though. If you migrated to grub 2 by now, then I don't know how
26 > that boot entry would look like. I suspect it will be some 300-line
27 > monstrosity or something :-|
28
29 Actually it is -- dare I say it -- even more simple in grub2 :)
30
31 menuentry "Memtest86+ 4.20" {
32 linux16 /memtest86plus/memtest.bin
33 }
34
35 That's from my grub.cfg... I don't use the grub auto-configuration
36 tools. I just made a manual grub.cfg like in the grub1 days. It is
37 quite similar to the old grub syntax, but more can do more stuff.
38
39 BTW there is a new version 5.00 of memtest86+ which is on rc1 release
40 right now, it supports multi-core processors (and tests/uses them),
41 shows system temperature while testing, is much faster than the old
42 one, and has a few new tests. There is a link to it on the memtest
43 forums.