From: Nilesh Govindrajan <me@××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Slow local network - how to debug?
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 08:40:33
1 On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 1:34 PM, Helmut Jarausch
2 <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > I have no experiences in debugging a slow network.
6 >
7 > At home, I have a router which is connected to my telephone line via VDSL2.
8 > I have 2 PCs one of which is connected by an ethernet cable (i.e. wired)
9 > while the other
10 > one uses a wireless connection which is specified as 56 Mbit/s.
11 >
12 > When copying data from one machine to the other one I see varying speeds
13 > from only 0.5 Mbits/s up to
14 > more than 20 Mbits/s. I have no idea why it is so slow some times.
15 > There are no other wireless devices nearby.
16 >
17 > What tools and techniques can I use to debug this situation?
18 >
19 > Many thanks for a hint,
20 > Helmut.
23 Check for packet loss. This is the first and most common reason.
26 Nilesh Govindrajan
27 http://nileshgr.com