From: Stefano Crocco <posta@×××××××××××××.it>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] gentoo on SSD
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2017 19:02:18
1 Hello to everyone,
2 I just bought a 250 GB SSD and I'm planning to install Gentoo on it. I've read
3 the Gentoo Wiki page on this and searched Google for hints on this, but since
4 I found out that much information was either contradictory or outdated, I'm
5 asking anyone with first-hand experience on this for advice.
6
7 My system is as follows:
8
9 - 250GB SSD
10 - 1TB HDD
11 - 16GB RAM
12
13 I'm planning to partition the SSD this way:
14
15 - 100 GB -> / (on my current system, / is about 70GB)
16 - 100 GB -> /home
17 - 16 GB -> swap (mainly for hibernation)
18 - 200 MB -> /boot
19
20 /var/tmp/portage should go into a tmpfs (12GB).
21
22 I've read that someone suggested putting also /tmp on a tmpfs. Right now, on
23 my system /tmp is less than 100 MB, so I believe this should cause no
24 problems, but is it necessary?
25
26 Large files, such as Steam games and maybe distfiles should instead go on the
27 1TB HDD.
28
29 I have some doubts about the swap partition. With 16 GB of RAM I shouldn't
30 usually need swap except for hibernating (that's the reason I'm putting it on
31 the SSD); however, I fear that compiling some large packages could fill all
32 that space. Would it be bad to have the swap partition on the SSD used this
33 way every now and then? Should I create another swap partition on the HDD and
34 give it higher priority?
35
36 What do you think? Do you have any advice on how to best set up such a system?
37
38 Thanks in advance
39
40 Stefano