From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Want to seriously test a NEW hard drive
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 04:21:08
1 William Kenworthy wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2012-08-07 at 21:19 -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >> Paul Hartman wrote:
4 >>> On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 5:26 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>> I didn't know you could do low level formats anymore. Really? What
6 >>>> package provides that? Hmmm, I'm thinking about those HOURS spent
7 >>>> formatting a 100Mb drive and then thinking about how long it will take
8 >>>> to do a 3Tb drive. O_O I mean really O_O. LOL
9 >>> hdparm provides it. Do a search for "ATA secure erase" or "enhanced
10 >>> secure erase". It is as close as there is to a low-level format in
11 > ...
12 >> I have seen where people use dd to do this sort of thing to. I read
13 >> somewhere that if you do a dd and put in all 1's, then all 0's then back
14 >> again that it is very hard to get any data back off the drive. I think
15 >> if you do it like over a dozen times, it is deemed impossible to get
16 >> anything back. I think that is the Government standard of it's gone.
17 >>
18 >> 4 or 5 hours huh. I guess drives are a lot faster now. Back in the
19 >> late 80's or early 90's, it took that long for those whimpy little 100Mb
20 >> drives. Ooops, my ages is showing again. lol
21 >>
22 >> I got to go read up on hdparm. I already have it installed here. I'm
23 >> not planning to use this part but do want to read up on this.
24 >>
25 >> Thanks.
26 >>
27 >> Dale
28 >>
29 >> :-) :-)
32 > Goggle have a well known document
33 > (http://research.google.com/archive/disk_failures.pdf) where they
34 > analysed hard drive failures for a very large number of drives ... the
35 > basic upshot is that a very large portion of failures happen with no
36 > pre-warning, so testing a drive like you are proposing not going to
37 > prove a thing.
38 >
39 > They also found that smart (is quite dumb) and its tests were of little
40 > use.
41 >
42 > And high temperatures and work loads were also not a reliable guide to
43 > trends in failure rates, both of which which surprised me.
44 >
45 > Some of those bathtub curves that I was trained on when setting
46 > maintenance schedules dont hold water here!
47 >
48 > This anaysis of the paper looks quite good if you want the lite view:
49 > http://storagemojo.com/2007/02/19/googles-disk-failure-experience/
50 >
51 > BillK
55 > BillK
59 Well, I am going by actual real experiences from other users of this
60 model of drive. I don't know what google was testing but I would bet it
61 is not the drive model I just bought. The users who bought this exact
62 model drive report that most failures are either out of the box or
63 within a few weeks to a month. I'm just going to try to increase my
64 odds even if it is just a little bit.
65
66 Smart may not always predict a failure but it is better than nothing at
67 all. Would you rather have a tool that may predict a failure or no tool
68 at all? Me, I'd rather have something that at least tries too. The one
69 drive I had to go bad, Smart predicted it very well. It said I had
70 about 24 hrs to get my stuff off. Sure enough, the next day, it
71 wouldn't do anything but spin. Without Smart and its prediction, I'd
72 have lost the data on the drive with no warning at all.
73
74 A couple questions. What if while I am testing this drive, it dies?
75 Does that prove that my testing benefited me then?
76
77 Dale
78
82 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!