From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] system uptime
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2015 15:25:00
1 On 08/30/2015 06:24 AM, Michel Catudal wrote:
2 >
3 > As for shutdowns there are several arguments for and against. What often
4 > kills electronic is the shock between hot and cold so there is an
5 > argument about keeping the system on.
6 > Whether it is always safe to keep the computer on all the time remains
7 > to be proven.
8
9 Recently I've had to help someone migrate off of a failed computer. This
10 computer was old (I had to find an IDE adapter to recover some files)
11 from late 90s/early 00s.
12
13 Some time ago I told him to have it running all the time, mostly because
14 of age. So he kept it running nonstop and literally a week or two ago
15 shut it down as he was getting new flooring installed. He called me
16 after hooking it back up again as it wouldn't start. I went over to
17 check and the motherboard finally failed. He hadn't powered it off in
18 4-5 years.
19
20 For myself I use a smart power bar and suspend my PC when not in use.
21 This caused me all sorts of grief with systemd hanging on shutdown after
22 a suspend, ultimately causing my RAID array to be rebuilt on every
23 reboot/shutdown and so I've finally abandoned it and am running openrc
24 again.
25
26 The only thing about using suspend is that if the PC is in a sleep state
27 it won't wake up and shut down when the power goes out. This just
28 happened to me yesterday (big wind storm here.)
29
30 Dan