From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemD?
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2017 23:30:18
1 On 08/30/2017 01:39 PM, mad.scientist.at.large@××××××××.com wrote:
2 > I do not want to start a whole systemd storm, glad i was offline for
3 > that. however, in my case i'd really like to avoid systemd. can i
4 > setup with out systemd, or do i need to remove and patch later.
5 > obviously better to start without it in this case. so are some of the
6 > available kernels not systemd, and how much does it change the
7 > installation? i did search for it, and found a couple docs at
8 > gentoo.org it doesn't look too bad. thanks.
9 >
10 > --
11 > The Power Of the People Is Stronger Than The People In Charge.
12
13 We have a wiki page for it [1] that I'm awaiting review on for my edited
14 version[2], which briefly goes over the steps needed to setup Gentoo
15 without systemd.
16
17 In short:
18
19 eselect profile list
20 (choose one that doesn't have 'systemd' in its name)
21 eselect profile set [profile-number]
22
23 make.conf:
24 USE="$USE -systemd"
25
26 (sidenote: is logind a USE flag yet?)
27
28 package.mask:
29 sys-apps/systemd
30 sys-fs/udev
31
32 Remerging virtual/udev after configuring the above will pull in
33 sys-fs/eudev, which is a drop-in replacement for systemd-udev. Be sure
34 to merge your preferred init, and systemd will be removed on the next
35 depclean (if present and not in a set somewhere like @world).
36
37 [1]: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_Without_systemd
38 [2]: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:Zlg/Drafts/Gentoo_without_systemd
41 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer, Trustee, Treasurer
42 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
43 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6