From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] In search of a "good" windowmanager
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 02:22:59
1 Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> [09-09-12 20:42]:
2 > On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 8:40 AM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Hi,
5 > >
6 > > for a long time I used IceWM as my windowmanager since I dont
7 > > want to mimicry other OSses (...) or want session management.
8 > > One thing, which is a must-have of windowmanagers I want to use
9 > > is the possibility to control the windowmanager nearly completly
10 > > with the keyboard (hotkeys configurable) which does *not*
11 > > imply "uncontrollable by mouse" ;)
12 > > Furthermore I should not be a hana-bi or anything else eye-candy
13 > > like (nothing against hana-bi as hana-bi!) -- most of the time
14 > > I will use the windowmanager instead of only looking at it -- which
15 > > does not imply: "black anmd white ugly ascii thingy".
16 > >
17 > > Since IceWM seems to be gone into hibernation phase I am looking for
18 > > a replacement which should
19 > > -- be widely configurable via ascii files
20 > > -- be as far as possible controllable by keyboard
21 > > -- be also useable with the mouse
22 > > -- no eye-candy
23 > > -- not ugly
24 > > -- NOT tiling
25 > > -- FAST!
26 > >
27 > > I would like to hear from others what experiences they made with
28 > > what windowmanagers.
29 > >
30 > > Thank you very much in advance for any help!
31 > > Best regards and have a nice weekend!
32 > > Meino Cramer
33 >
34 > try Openbox, tiny but modern
35
36 Currently I am playing around with fluxbox. There is one thing, which
37 I do not get working (not knowing, whether I haven't found a way or
38 whether it is generally not possible...): The selection of
39 applikations in the apllikation ("root"-) menu via keyboard. Only the
40 first applikation can be selected via its first character.
41 If someone knows a way....?
42
43 The other thing is an up-to-date documentation I didn't found.
44
45 It is a little annoying, that menu structures, which were unfolded,
46 did not collapse as usual but need to be actively "clicked away"
47 (sorry, I am no native English speaker).
48
49 Is the fluxbox mailinglist of hrrrrmmmm low traffic or...?
50
51 Unfortunately I found many text snippets on the internet, which
52 "explain" how to activate certain aspects of fluxbox without
53 explaining for what they are good for. But as I said...may be
54 I did not find the correct documentation and use the wrong mailing
55 list...
56
57 I like the tabbing feature, the look of fluxbox, its speed and
58 the possibility to steer much of its features via keyboard.
59 The configuration files are clean, simple and easy to understand.
60 Te time from installing to a working environment was very short.
61
62 The following question is NOT meant in a rhetorical way:
63
64 What would be reasons to switch to openbox?
65 What are the main differences between openbox and fluxbox?
66 (which is not meant as a firestarter for a flame war!!!)
67
68 I am not interested in a better embedding into KDE or GNOME
69 since I dont use them as an desktop environment -- I am only
70 using some of their applikations from time to time. The console
71 and the commandline is my homeplanet...old school but I am better
72 reading in text than in guessing icons... ;)
73 (dont meant too seriously but with a big smiley!)
74
75 Best regards
76 mcc
81 Please don't send me any Word- or Powerpoint-Attachments
82 unless it's absolutely neccessary. - Send simply Text.
83 See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
84 In a world without fences and walls nobody needs gates and windows.