From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] network transfer speed
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 08:46:41
1 On Monday, January 18, 2021 8:57:38 AM CET Raffaele BELARDI wrote:
2 > > -----Original Message-----
3 > > From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
4 > > Sent: Saturday, January 16, 2021 22:00
5 > > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
6 > > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] network transfer speed
7 > >
8 > > I may be way off base here, but if the switch is connected to a router,
9 > > packets from one PC go to the switch and then to everything else connected
10 > > to it, including both the other PC and the router. Is there any chance
11 > > the
12 > > router is passing packets back to the switch to get to the second PC? I
13 > > can imagine that causing lots of problems. However, I would hope it is
14 > > smart enough to know it doesn't need to do so, since both PCs show up on
15 > > the same router port.
16 >
17 > A switch uses the Ethernet MAC destination address to forward a packet only
18 > on the 'interested' ports. What you describe would be a 'hub' [1], I don't
19 > think it's easy to find one of those on recent networks.
20 >
21 > Raffaele
22 >
23 > [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_hub
24
25 Some cheaper switches fail-over to hub-mode when the traffic exceeds what it can
26 manage.
29 Joost