From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] what isn't required to boot a system/what can be trimmed from a backup
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 07:10:41
1 forgottenwizard wrote:
2 > I'm messing around with doing backups via rsync to an external hard
3 > drive, and I'm wanting to be able to strip out unneeded files from the
4 > backup (these will be archived by, probably, dar or tar later on), and
5 > was wondering if someone knew what I could strip out.
6 >
7 > Thanks.
12 I'm not sure if I am following you or not but I back up /boot /dev /home
13 /sbin /var /bin /data /etc /lib /opt /root /usr when I do mine. /data
14 is where I store most of my data. I skip /sys, /proc and /tmp since
15 those are usually made by the kernel and /tmp is stuff that is cleared
16 out when booting anyway.
17
18 If you are asking what I think you are asking, you should be able to
19 leave out /sys, /tmp and /proc and be fine. YMMV.
20
21 Dale
22
24 --