From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is it possible to have perl-5 and perl-6 installed and in use concurrently?
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 03:14:30
1 On Sunday, June 19 at 09:47 (+0800), William Kenworthy said:
2
3 > Its actually not "slotting" I am after - slots are a choice of setting
4 > the system to one or the other (correct me if I am wrong) whereas I
5 > want
6 > to use perl-5 for eveyting except this which wants perl-6.
7
8 You are wrong. slots is the mechanism whereby "different versions of a
9 single package can coexist on a system". "Setting a choice" I assume
10 means your eselect-style choices. For example, you can eselect a
11 pager, which has nothing do do with slots. Or you can eselect the
12 system python, which does (indirectly) have to do with slots. But
13 eselect and slots are not the same.