From: Sarpy Sam <sarpy.sam@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] newbie livecd installation dual boot problems
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 02:12:23
1 On 3/9/06, TN <tnuro@×××××××××.au> wrote:
2 > I'm attempting to install Gentoo with the GUI livecd 2006 utility, and
3 > I'm installing it on a laptop which was dual booting happily with debian
4 > & winxp.
5 >
6 > I wiped the debian installation, and carefully made sure that Gentoo
7 > wasn't going to wipe out the winxp partition which is the first. I made
8 > /dev/hda2 one partition for gentoo, and it's JFS.
9 >
10 > The installation process finished without errors, but when I reboot the
11 > machine I have 2 problems:
12 >
13 > (i) the grub installation doesn't show the winxp entry (easy enough
14 > fixed, but still an installation bug)
15 >
16 > (ii) gentoo starts booting, but fails when trying to mount the root device.
17 > >> Determining root device...
18 > >> Mounting root...
19 > mount : Mounting /dev/hda2 on /newroot failed: Invalid argument
20 > !! Could not mount specified ROOT, try again
21 > !! The root block device is unspecified or not detected.
24 > The grub boot lines are:
25 > root (hd0,1)
26 > kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.15-gentoo-r5 root=/dev/ram0
27 > init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/hda2
28 > initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.15-gentoo-r5
29 >
30 > This was how the installer set it up, so what needs to change to fix it ?
31 >
32 > thanks!
33
34 >From the gentoo handbook located here
35 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=10
36
37 Note: If your root filesystem is JFS, you must add " ro" to the kernel
38 line since JFS needs to replay its log before it allows read-write
39 mounting.
40
41 I don't use JFS so I dobn't know exactly how to do it but this is what
42 I got from searching google.
43
44 Kirby
47 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list