From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Separate /usr partition
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 19:54:38
1 On Thu, 15 Sep 2022 18:15:38 +0000, Laurence Perkins wrote:
2
3 > Note also that the "init thingy" is nothing more than a little
4 > filesystem which contains everything you'd need to make sure was on
5 > your root partition if you were attempting to boot without one.
6 >
7 > Building one yourself is generally pretty trivial if you don't like
8 > what dracut/genkernel produce. Utilities, kernel modules, and a script
9 > to set up your main system and switch to it.
10
11 I used to do that before I started using dracut, but dracut is less work
12 to maintain. One nice benefit of doing it yourself is that you can embed
13 the initramfs in the kernel image, meaning you only have one file to
14 manage and once a kernel works it will always work, which may not be the
15 case if you rebuild a separate initramfs.
19 Neil Bothwick
20
21 For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.