From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Secure DNS servers
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 18:18:07
1 Hello,
2
3 I'm reading up on how to secure DNS primary and secondary servers.
4 I guess DNSSEC is pretty important. Any other areas I should read
5 up on? It's been a few years since I admin'd a dns server....
8 Also, look for gentoo centric DNS primary solutions, I see
9 no mention of hardened, up-mounted or read only partitions,
10 etc etc. I wondering if anyone has some general suggestions
11 on how to keep a gentoo dns primary only machine secure.
12
13 The iptables suggests seem trite and old. I'll not
14 be running anything but DNS primary on the machine. When it
15 is up, I want to test it and see if it can be hacked, by me.
16 So a listing of "how to hack-test" your DNS primary server
17 of ideas would be keen too.
20 I wonder why the gentoo wiki does not have such information, as
21 I'm sure it is commonly needed?
22
23 Any other thoughts, suggestions and ideas are most appreciated,
24 as I have not kept current with all of the latest dns security
25 issues. I cannot even find a listing of security issues, that
26 are strictly centric to DNS primary server issues.
29 James