From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Good file system that recovers from a power failure.
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 23:15:41
1 On Friday 31 December 2010 16:27:02 Dale wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > When was the last time portage offered you a reiser update?
4 > >
5 > > The reiser4progs ebuild has 13 Changelog entries in 2.5 years, 8 of them
6 > > are stabilisation toe various arches. Current version is 1.0.7 and has
7 > > been there for 23 months.
8 > >
9 > > reiserfsprogs is similar, on 3.6.21 for 23 months and one update (not a
10 > > stabilisation) since Aug 2007
11 > >
12 > > reiser4 is not in the mainline kernel, and highly unlikely to ever be
13 > > there according to the last thing I heard Linus say on the matter. Yes,
14 > > it's in Zen IIRC, but Zen is not mainline. And reiser4 will probably
15 > > never have a real fsck either (technical restriction - it's plugins
16 > > that do the work and fsck cannot know what the plugins did)
17 > >
18 > > Hans *was* reiserfs for all practical purposes. SuSE funded most of
19 > > Reiserfs in the early days and they have switched away from it for
20 > > logistic reasons.
21 > >
22 > > Does any of that sound to you like "actively maintained"?
23 > >
24 > > It's my opinion that reiser is in security-fix-only mode from whoever is
25 > > maintaining it. If everything else around it stays the same, the fs will
26 > > obviously continue working just as it always did. But the surrounding
27 > > system is not stable, it changes rapidly, especially in kernel space,
28 > > so the odds are stacked against reiser for bitrot. For all these
29 > > reasons, I regretfully switched my own systems over to ext4 some time
30 > > ago. Rieser was a good fs whose time has come and gone and I no longer
31 > > had warm and fuzzies about the future with it.
32 >
33 > I'm not sure I EVER saw a update to reiserfs. I was hoping it was just
34 > that good. lol
35
36 you are obviously not subscribed to the reiserfs ml. There are the occasional
37 fixes and lately even some (minor) updates.
38
39 Being in maintenance mode is a GOOD THING for a file system.