From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: back up gentoo system
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 08:34:47
1 On Friday 09 May 2008, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > A backup device is just a storage appliance, if should not be
3 > parochial about the origin of the data it stores.
4
5 Agreed. I have gentoo boxes out there that contain backups for
6 themselves, other gentoo machines, tens of various Windows machines and
7 even the odd Mac or two. Oh yeah, some Ubuntu servers too.
8
9 All backup clients write to different directories, based on their
10 hostname/IP address. No collisions.
11
12 One thing I won't do is backup a Linux machine to a Windows machine as I
13 can't easily extract file metadata that way. Windows to Linux is easy
14 as Windows is virtually unusable unless the average user does the
15 equivalent of this after a restore:
16
17 chmod -R 777 /path/to/restored/directory/
20 Alan McKinnon
21 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
24 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list