From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage snapshot signing key expired again
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2019 20:17:39
1 On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 2:38 PM gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > ср, 9 янв. 2019 г. в 19:36, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>:
4 > >
5 > > On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 6:21 AM gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > > >
7 > > > On the other side, app-crypt/gkeys is marked by ~
8 > > > in my architecture (amd64). So, it is impossible
9 > > > to update the portage snapshot signing key without
10 > > > using non-recommended package.
11 > Ok, not app-crypt/gentoo-keys package but
12 > app-crypt/openpgp-keys-gentoo-release package.
13 >
14 > Does it matter?
15
16 Sure, because you brought up issues with unrelated packages, like
17 stable/unstable keywords, which aren't actually problems.
18
19 > After that I have found out that a new
20 > app-crypt/openpgp-keys-gentoo-release package
21 > was released on 2 January 2019 when the previous
22 > portage signing keys already expired.
23
24 You probably should have led with that. Seems like an actual issue.
25 Or at least lead with "I have this problem - what should I do?" and
26 not basically starting out by accusing everybody of not caring about
27 security.
28
29 Really, though, an expired key fails safe - it blocks updates and
30 doesn't cause you to install insecure ones. That is certainly how I'd
31 prefer that it behaves. Sure, it would be better if keys were updated
32 before they expire, but I tend to doubt that your email is going to do
33 much to fix that.
34
35 I don't use webrsync which is probably why I didn't personally notice
36 this issue - I'm guessing it uses a different key than git but I
37 haven't checked.
40 Rich