From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: reiserfsprogs
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 17:03:37
1 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss03 <at> volumehost.net> writes:
4 > > /dev/sda2 /boot reiserfs defaults 1 2
5 > > /dev/sda4 / reiserfs defaults 1 1
6
7 > > which should force an fsck on the reiserfs file system?
8
9 > I don't see how this would force a fsck.
10
11 Well so much for the man page on fstab...
12 ount to return on my 2+TiB filesystem.)
13
14 > Also, resiserfsck is different than other fscks. It has two "fix" modes,
15 > neither of which is automatic and one of which is quite dangerous; the one
16 > you should use is based on the output of the "check" mode.
17
18 Well OK, I got your instructions.
19
20 However, xdm is not turned on so the system boots straight to
21 a command line prompt. Previously I suspected the xorg.conf file
22 for startup during xdm launch-->latchup. After disabling X/kde/xdm, the
23 system still has problems. Last night it was just sitting in
24 a quiescent state and it just latched up. Not good for a brand new
25 laptop. Today I booted it up and set the date on the command line.
26 Then I issued 'hwclock --systohc' and the system latched up
27 tight, again. Power cycle and the minimal CD has the system running
28 a memtest86 for a while, to ensure it's not the ram.
29 If the ram proves up OK, then I'm going to follow your
32 What else could it be? This was a vista only laptop, so
33 if all else fails, I'll just blame Microsoft......
34 I ran fdisk but, it may need an old fashion dos format?
35 Suggestions on robust low_level formatting is I have to re-install
36 this machine?
37
38 I've got over a dozen systems with reiserfs on the /boot partition
39 and not a single problem in almost 4 years of running gentoo
40 and reiser on the boot partition. Losing 32M of space is a non
41 issue for me. Reiser gets a lot of bad press,
42 but, I like it very much and cannot wait until reiser4 is
43 a bit more of a commodity.
44
45 I've had lots of problems with ext2 and ext3 (No thanks)......
46
47 I'll drop a line when the memory testing is conclusive.
48
49 thx,
50
51 James