From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How to poweroff the system from user?
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 23:19:02
1 On 22/03/15 22:12, Philip Webb wrote:
2 > 150322 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >> On 22/03/15 17:58, Philip Webb wrote:
4 >>> If you have multiple users,
5 >>> you don't want some rogue user rebooting randomly
6 >> You can't stop a local user from doing that.
7 >> As mentioned, the reset button works just fine. You really do want
8 >> those users to reboot the system properly rather than pressing reset.
9 >> Environments where the machine is locked away
10 >> with only the keyboard being accessible are far less common
11 >> than people sitting in front of the actual machine.
12 >
13 > We're picturing different set-ups : I'm thinking of a campus system,
14 > where the machine is in a locked room accessible to the sysadmin (root)
15 > & users log in somewhere else via machines which act as terminals ;
16 > you are perhaps refering to a family or small-office machine,
17 > where there are no other means of access, but users log in separately.
18 > You are correct in the latter case.
19
20 Well, remote logins can't reboot with ctrl+alt+del. That's reserved only
21 for the users using the actual console. Meaning the keyboard hooked up
22 to the machine with the PS/2 or USB cable.
23
24 SSH login or thin clients can't reboot. If you press ctrl+alt+del on the
25 terminal machine, that's only going to reboot the terminal machine. We
26 had such a setup using Sun Rays in the past. Non-console logins are
27 getting the full security treatment.