From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Using an old kernel .config as the basis for a new .config
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2017 20:17:05
1 Hello, Jack.
2
3 On Thu, Dec 28, 2017 at 15:05:04 -0500, Jack wrote:
4 > On 2017.12.28 14:52, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
5 > > Hello, Gentoo.
6
7 > > Having just built linux-4.14.7-gentoo, suddenly a new version of the
8 > > kernel, linux-4.14.8-gentoo-r1 has become stable. Configuring a
9 > > kernel from scratch is a repetitive drudge.
10
11 > > There is some way of initialising a new kernel .config from an
12 > > existing one, I am sure, but I can't find it. I've looked at the
13 > > Gentoo wiki, I've looked at (some of) the kernel's own
14 > > documentation. The nearest I can find is make oldconfig, which
15 > > supposedly does what I want, but it just seems to start off with a
16 > > default .config and go through the hundreds of questions one at a
17 > > time.
18
19 > > So, would some kind soul please tell me how to get my old .config
20 > > into a new one properly. Thanks!
21
22 > You need to copy your old .config into the new kernel source
23 > directory. "make oldconfig" then uses those values, and only asks you
24 > about new items. It sounds like it was asking about everything because
25 > it didn't have the old file as a starting point - so was starting from
26 > scratch.
27
28 Thanks, that was exactly what I needed. In the end, the configurer
29 didn't ask any questions. It looks like there were no new options
30 introduced by 4.18.8-r1.
31
32 > Jack
33