From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] abi_x86_32 FLAG
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 18:33:29
1 On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 2:14 PM, Heiko Baums <lists@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2 > Am 21.04.2015 um 20:06 schrieb Mike Gilbert:
3 >> On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 7:51 PM, Heiko Baums <lists@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
4 >>> Am 21.04.2015 um 01:27 schrieb Mike Gilbert:
5 >>>
6 >>>> Better yet, upgrade to grub:2 already.
7 >>>
8 >>> Why? As long as grub legacy is working there's no need to upgrade. I'm
9 >>> still running grub legacy, too.
10 >>>
11 >>
12 >> In this context, because you can build it without having any 32-bit
13 >> libs installed.
14 >
15 > That's what grub-static is for. So why would I upgrade to grub:2 if
16 > grub:0 is still working?
19 You don't have to, other than avoiding stuff like this, or for the
20 additional features.
21
22 While all the guides seem to be written around grub2-mkconfig you can
23 still use grub the old way and just create your own config file.
24 Grub2 is more flexible in terms of supported filesystems and such -
25 which is helpful if you're using lvm, mdadm, btrfs, and so on.
26 However, I don't think it accepts the old config file syntax so there
27 is some effort required to migrate. You'll of course want a rescue
28 boot device (but I'd say that applies whether you're migrating or
29 not).
30
31 I started out with a grub1-like approach and ended up moving to the
32 grub2 style. I just install my kernels with make install and then let
33 grub2-mkconfig set up my config files. The only issue I found is that
34 if you're playing with git kernels it doesn't always order the
35 versioning right (a.b.c+ isn't > a.b.c and things like this).
36 However, you can add your own rules to get entries auto-created which
37 can be helpful.
40 Rich