From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Still questions concerning a reasonable setup of a new system: UEFI &&/|| MTBR
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2020 13:56:27
1 On Saturday, 28 March 2020 10:43:50 GMT Michael wrote:
2 > On Saturday, 28 March 2020 06:19:56 GMT tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
3
4 > > Since there is A LOT of stuff to read about UEFI, MTBR and hybrid
5 > > systems I want to sort out, what I need to read in advance.
6 >
7 > What is "MTBR"?
8 >
9 > Mean Time Between Repair? :-/
10
11 Motor Torpedo Boat, to those old enough to remember. :)
12
13 --->8
14
15 > What I would consider reasonable in the year of 2020 is to use GPT, which is
16 > a more versatile and useful structure for partitioning disks, without the
17 > restrictions and deficiencies of MBR tables. On the other hand if you have
18 > a really old disk which you are not planning to repartition, I would
19 > consider it reasonable to leave it alone with its existing MBR table and
20 > get on with more important/interesting tasks.
21
22 The BIOS of any machine old enough to be using FAT-style MBR cannot cope with
23 anything newer, so if you have one, you're stuck with it.
26 Regards,
27 Peter.