From: pat <pat@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [SOLVED] Re: [gentoo-user] selecting boot(active?) partition
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 08:27:22
1 On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 17:34:28 -0500, Dan Farrell wrote
2 > On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 11:09:07 +0200
3 > "pat" <pat@××××××××.org> wrote:
4 > > Some information what I've used to remove GRUB from MBR. In windows
5 > > (don't beat me) there are tools 'fixmbr' and 'fixboot' and Ive used
6 > > them.
7 > You could try 'fdisk /mbr' from windows command line. That should
8 > replace your MBR with one which simply passess boot process off to
9 > the active partition, which is -- i believe -- how windows does it.
10 > But, read on.
11 >
12 > > Probably last question: When I've tried to set the recovery partition
13 > > 'active' in fdisk, the system still boots from the GRUB and not from
14 > > the 'active' partition ... I think I've did it wrong, did I?
15 >
16 > The boot process from a hard drive looks something like
17 > Power button -> BIOS -> mbr boot -> partition boot -> OS init.
18 >
19 > chances are that GRUB is on the mbr so the recovery partition's boot
20 > record is never used. Have you considered using GRUB to boot the
21 > partition like you would a windows partition? that would look
22 > something like
23
24 Yes, I've booted recovery partition from the GRUB (using cfg below), but the
25 recovery process replace whole disk with one big windows partition, so the
26 GRUB "configuration" partition (partition with /boot/grub/grub.cfg) is removed
27 and it doesn't update MBR to boot from active partition ... .
28
29 Thanks.
30
31 > | # boot this partition's boot record
32 > | rootnoverify (hd0,2) # corresponds to 1st hard drive ,3rd
33 > partition. | # set to your recovery partition instead. | makeactive
34 > | chainloader +1
35 > that, I think, will do about the same thing as 'fdisk /mbr' from
36 > windoze but avoids the hosing of GRUB, which is actually a
37 > wonderfully flexible and useful bootloader compared to the 'active partition'
38 > scheme of windoze.
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list