From: Mihamina Rakotomandimby <mihamina@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] advice about Gentoo (Oracle, Java, VMWare...)
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 12:08:10
1 Hi all,
2
3 I have been a former user, and in my new occupation I think Gentoo could
4 be a perfect tool.
5
6 Context
7 - I admin a server for PHP and Java Web developers
8 - I have to run a Gentoo host which have LXC guests (also Gentoo-only).
9 - About the LXC guests
10 -- 1 LXC guest with PHP4 (with custom ./configure options)
11 -- 1 LXC guest with PHP 5.2 (with custom ./configure options)
12 -- 1 LXC guest with PHP 5.3 (with custom ./configure options)
13 -- 1 LXC guest with Tomcat + Oracle + Oracle's Java
14 - I'll also need to host several ready to boot VMWare Windows VM images
15 (containing IE6, for compatibility tests): I guess I'll have to
16 install a VMWare server
17 - I *only* want to install with the distribution packaging tool.
18
19 Is Gentoo a good choice? I think yes because:
20 - Installing PHP4, PHP5.2 is just about unmasking and install
21 - Installing VMWare server is easy
22
23 But...
24 - Installing Oracle's Java is not so easy: http://goo.gl/tbBFW
27 I master Debian based administration with some knowledges of packaging,
28 but this is the fisrt time I have to deal with Sun/Oracles products
29 which I know are not really Linux friendly.
30
31 What's your opinion?
34 RMA.