From: David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Open Source Family Tree software?
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 14:52:05
1 On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 16:05:48 -0800
2 Mark Knecht wrote:
3
4 > On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 3:45 PM, Daniel Pielmeier
5 > <daniel.pielmeier@××××××××××.com> wrote:
6 > > Mark Knecht schrieb am 30.11.2008 00:29:
7 > >
8 > >> It seems that
9 > >> gramps is doing something sort of like this but one wonders just
10 > >> how large their database is. Also, I'd hate for my wife to do a
11 > >> lot of work entering a few hundred people only to find she cannot
12 > >> use the gramps data with anything but gramps.
13 > >
14 > > Gramps has support for the GEDCOM format, which I remember was also
15 > > used by another program I tried some years ago. GEDCOM is according
16 > > to the gramps homepage an industry standard, so it should be
17 > > possible to exchange your data with all other programs supporting
18 > > this standard.
19 > >
20 > > http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Features
24 > Cool. thanks.
25 >
26 > I suppose she can try entering just a few names and then see if she
27 > can talk to FTM.
28 >
29 > I'm not sure any of this is important to her. Just trying to get a
30 > bit ahead.
31 >
32 > Thanks,
33 > Mark
34
35 As stated by others, gramps is in portage. It's a python app and
36 works well with adequate hardware. (On a 500mhz geode with 256mb
37 it's rather slow. On an AMD-64 with 4gb it's pleasantly fast).
38
39 The newest (experimental) version is 3.0.4 which is working well for me.
40 The previous version, 3.0.3, had some expectations about BerkeleyDB
41 which could cause an unhandled exception.
42
43 I'm not sure about exporting to FTM, but I was able to import
44 without problems from FTM (which I used several years ago). I've also
45 been able to transfer between Gramps and PAF using the GEDCOM format.
46 (Note: PAF requires WINE).
47
48 HTH,
49