From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] creating overlay to modify net-fs/samba-3.6.18
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 21:05:57
1 On 10/09/2013 22:11, Timur Aydin wrote:
2 > Today I had quite a bit of issues while creating a local overlay to
3 > modify samba. Got through all of them, but there were the following
4 > issues which I wanted to bring up, because I am not sure whether I have
5 > done anything wrong:
6 >
7 > - I had created the overlay under "/root/overlay", but this is causing
8 > "permission denied" errors from ebuild when creating the Manifest file:
9
10 Do you have userpriv set in FEATURES?
11
12 That makes emerge run as portage which cannot read /root.
13
14 Putting things like code, data and configs in /root is universally a bad
15 idea. Do not do this. Put such things in the usual places, protected by
16 orthodox permissions, just like every other package on your system. Your
17 local overlay is no different to the tree and does not require special
18 handling.
19
20 [snip]
21
22 > After trying many different things without luck, I tried using
23 > /usr/local/portage as the overlay folder and the problem went away! So
24 > my first question is, does ebuild have a special security feature which
25 > prevents it from processing overlays under /root ?
26
27 No, you just had the overlay in a highly unusual place.
30 > - The second issue is eclass related. After I moved net-fs/samba under
31 > /usr/local/portage, I got the following error during Manifest creation:
32 >
33 > ======================================================================
34 > bonsai samba # ebuild samba-3.6.18.ebuild manifest
35 > * ERROR: net-fs/samba-3.6.18::myoverlay failed (depend phase):
36 > * pam.eclass could not be found by inherit()
37
38 [snip]
41 > To resolve this, I just copied /usr/portage/eclass to
42 > /usr/local/portage/eclass. Is this a proper solution?
43
44 No, that copies ALL the eclasses and is likely to really mess things up.
45 In fact, you should not have had to do anything with eclasses at all.
46
47 I suspect your make.conf is faulty.
48
49 What is the contents of make.conf?
50 what is ls -al $PORTDIR/eclass/pam.eclass
54 Alan McKinnon
55 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com