From: Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Accidentally issued hdparm -X /dev/hda on running system
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 21:56:26
1 Hi. I wanted to know how was my HD set, and I was issuing
2 information-querying commands like hdparm /dev/hda,
3 hdparm -i /dev/hda when I accidentally issued hdparm -X /dev/hda (idiot me).
4 The hdparm man page does not tell what happens when the -X option is used
5 without an argument.
6 I suspect it is equal to using an argument of 0; the man page says
7 "Setting 00 restores the drive´s "default" PIO mode, and 01 disables IORDY"
8
9 The output of the hdparm -X /dev/hda command mentioned something
10 about IORDY.
11 I then issued hdparm -i /dev/hda and the output said the drive was still
12 in UDMA5. Good sign! Maybe the command did nothing. To be sure,
13 I issued hdparm -X 69 /dev/hda (to set the mode to UDMA5),
14 and issued another hdparm -i /dev/hda (the output seemed identical).
15 I checked dmesg, and I saw at the end one message saying that the mode
16 had been set to UDMA-100 (which is UDMA5 I believe). This is good:
17 this message was probably generated by the hdparm -X 69 /dev/hda
18 command, so the earlier hdparm -X /dev/hda command
19 must have generated no messages, which suggests it did nothing.
20
21 I then shut the computer down and I writing this from a liveCD.
22 I do not even want to access the disk read only without knowing I have
23 not messed up.
24
25 So: does anybody know if hdparm -X /dev/hda is safe (on a running system...)?
26
27 Thank you
30 Software is like sex: it is better when it is free - Linus Torvalds