From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dual or Quad CPU complications?
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 09:45:53
1 > > So if I have 2 physical CPU's with 4 cores each and I enable SMP, I'm
2 using
3 > > 8 cores? Can NUMA be either enabled or disabled when using more than
4 one
5 > > physical CPU, or is it required?
8 > NUMA is a hardware architecture. It's how you access memory on a
9 > hardware level: NUMA = Non Uniform Memory Access vs a UMA architecture
10 > of typical (old/legacy) SMP systems (UMA = Uniform Memory Access).
11 >
12 > In a UMA system, all the memory belongs to all the sockets. In a NUMA
13 > system, each socket has it's "own" local memory. In modern (x86-64)
14 > processors, each socket has it's own memory controller so each socket
15 > controls its own local memory. If one socket runs out of memory it can
16 > ask another socket to lend him some memory. In a UMA system, no socket
17 > has to ask since memory is global and belongs to all sockets so if one
18 > socket uses up all the memory ... the rest "starve". In NUMA, there's
19 > more control over who uses what (be it cores or RAM).
20 >
21 > If you have a modern dual or quad (or higher #) socket system ...
22 > you've got NUMA architecture and you can't get rid of it, it's
23 > hardware, not software.
24
25 So I must enable CONFIG_NUMA for more than one physical CPU, and disable it
26 for only one physical CPU?
27
28 - Grant
31 > NUMA is not bad nor good. It's "transparent" to you. If your SW
32 > supports threads, OpenMP, ... you'll be using it without knowing. That
33 > doesn't mean you can't tweak performance and use numactl tools,
34 > cgroups, ... to increase performance. You can :)
35 >
36 > HTH
37 >
38 > Rafa