From: james <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: gcc-5.0 ?
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 00:50:19
1 Nikos Chantziaras <realnc <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > On 21/04/15 20:09, james wrote:
5 > > [installing gcc 5 system-wide through portage]
6
7 This is not my intention, system wide...
8
9 > Now that 5.1 is in Portage (masked), you should keep in mind that
10 > emerging it will result in the 5.1 libraries being used, even if you
11 > keep 4.9 (or 4.8) as the default compiler.
12
13 4.8 for now. I was going to google and noodle around this issue, but
14 since you brought it up....
17 > This is not really guaranteed to work well. AFAIK, the only
18 > fully-supported configuration is having the latest emerged gcc version
19 > be the default compiler. It might still be best to install 5.1 locally
20 > outside of portage if you don't intent to make 5.1 the default system
21 > compiler.
22
23 Naive question: Can't I use /usr/local/portage/..... I guess not,
24 nor my second 'dumb' idea to set it up as user 'portage'
25
26 Ok so what is the overview how to install it (hopefully using
27 standard gentoo methods) So that I can just use it for amd64
28 codes to test on test machines? Also, what about standard libs and
29 custome libs -[1]?
32 Later on I want to compile with it on arm64 in a cross compile environment
33 for the arm64 target (Cortex A53). [2]
36 James
37
38 [1] http://joelinoff.com/blog/?p=1003
39